Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Mom, Guess what? I'm an atheist.



If there is one thing many parents dred it is having children who think for themselves. Here is a short video that was filmed when one boy decides to tell his mother that he is an atheist. The response, to say the least, is not particular nice. Polls show that most Americans feel that atheists are worse than terrorists. So much for rational thinking in America. But the video does give me an idea. For some kids this might be a good strategy. They go home and announced they are an atheist. After a few minutes of parental venting they can then say: "Ah, not really. I'm just gay." At this point the Christian parents will shout: "Oh, thank God."

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Diederick said...

That was shocking.

I think that woman has a lot of reasons to be happy I'm not her son. Besides, if that chubby guy was his dad, I think he was enjoying the show a little too much for a a-a-theist.

April 11, 2007

 
Blogger Indioheathen said...

Theists should not be offended by atheism. They need to look at it as just another non-prophet organization.
:)

April 11, 2007

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I remember when I first told my parents I didn't believe in God. My mothers reaction was quite the same. The first thing she did was ask me if I was gay as well.

Then they kicked me out of the house... o'well I'm better off.

April 18, 2007

 
Blogger GodlessZone said...

Steve: that is awful of course, that any parents could treat their children like this. But religion oftens turns people into monsters. The family you create is the true family in your life.

April 19, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I imagine that if I had deconverted at that kid's age my parents would probably have done the same thing. While I can see where the mom is coming from in that Michael swore an oath to the Bishop, no parent should react the way she did if their kid becomes an atheist.

This is probably the thing people most fear is the reaction of others (especially their parents) if they dump theism.

Its sad when parents don't let their kids think for themselves.

April 28, 2007

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Funny as hell. I went looking for it and found something as funny and blogged it.

http://ladyliberty.wordpress.com/2007/05/02/door-to-door-atheist/

May 02, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Web Counters Religion Blog Top Sites